Tuesday, June 14, 2005

High Highs, Low Lows

Michael Jackson was found innocent today of all charges of impairing the morals of diseased children and giving them Jesus Juice! This is great news because I don't think there is anybody left in America who can bear one more second of news coverage on this case.

In other news:

Today was a great day! I closed an account that I've been working on for a while, and believe that it will blossom into a very good relationship. It was actually the last of a series of happy (work-related) events that have peppered the last two weeks. I gained four new clients, all of whom are ideal in a lot of ways.

You see, there are two kinds of clients that a stockbroker can have: order-givers, and those who sincerely want and need advice. The latter are dramatically better.

For example, I have a few hot-shot, hyperactive, stock-trading clients who call up and yell at me what to buy or sell. These people will typically, and quite shamelessly, "chisel" me on the commission, then yell about something new altogether. They have no long-term plan to speak of, and never fill me in on what they're doing with their other brokers. This is infuriating, and often they are told to take their business elsewhere.

The other type of client will typically hand over all their investable assets to the firm, sit down with me to hammer out a disciplined plan for investing, then pay an annual fee to have their money managed. These people usually become dear acquaintances and are always very loyal.

Business has picked up dramatically for me this Spring, and is getting better. I always find that Spring and Summer are the best times of year to be working on Wall Street, because people have finally roused from Winter hibernation and allow themselves to become reengaged in their finances. They want to have meetings, give referrals, and add more money to their portfolios.

Interestingly, I think you'll find that many New Yorkers are assholes for at least five months of the year. Now that I think about it, this is typical of the entire Northeast corridor of the United States. With regard to New Yorkers, one may perceive this as a year-round affliction - but that has nothing to do with the weather. It's all relative when you live here.

Anyway, that's the nature of my business: It ebbs and flows with seasons and market cycles. When you have more business coming in than you can handle, you feel like you're on top of the world. But when it's slow, you can feel kind of useless. But I guess that's true of any business really.

It's just a matter of keeping things in perspective at all times, which I'm pretty good at.

2 Comments:

Blogger Kirsti said...

You must feel free to manage my money any day. if at any given time I have some.. I think i have some spare change in my pocket now.. but. I was gonne buy beer with that. I think that is one helluva investment!

1:54 PM  
Blogger SD said...

D&K: A Tazer, eh? Good idea!

Kirsti: I couldn't agree more!

4:18 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home