Sunday, June 12, 2005

Post #1

Well...

This is far more nerve-wracking than I ever expected it to be. All of the sudden, I feel this enormous pressure to write something interesting or exciting - something appealing to the masses.

However, I just realized that most of the blogs I read are not interesting or exciting in any conventional way. They're interesting to me.

So, if you're interested in hearing about what it's like to live in New York, working on Wall Street, or about my new life with my bride-to-be, please stay tuned.

Here's the story:

I live in Manhattan, New York. For those of you who don't know, Manhattan is one of five boroughs that constitute New York City, along with The Bronx, Queens, Brooklyn and Staten Island. It is, by far, the finest borough, although Brooklyn is quickly gaining ground!

I work as a stockbroker on Wall Street. Wall Street simply refers to the general financial services of brokerage and investment banking. Only a lucky few people actually work on Wall Street the street. I say lucky because there are many venerable old buildings down there that hark back to Manhattan as the most powerful center of commerce and trade in the world, and it would be wonderful to work in one of them. If you're ever in New York, it's well worth exploring the Financial District.

I live right next to the Wall Street district in an area of Manhattan called Battery Park City. BPC is a nice area to live in, but it's completely artificial. BPC was created in the 60's with the dirt and rock and whatever else came out of the ground when the foundations were dug for the World Trade Center towers. Prior to that, it was just a long row of dilapidated piers. A retaining wall was created around the general area, and everything was dumped in there. As such, it is the newest section of Manhattan, with the majority of the buildings having been built in the 80's. There are five restaurants: Two are "english-style" pubs owned by one restaurant group, and the other three are Chinese restaurants owned by a second restaurant group. It's not good for quality when there's no competition, you can be sure.

So these are the basics of my life in New York. I'll keep you posted if anything interesting happens, although I suspect this is going to be a show about nothing, as Jerry and George put it.

Anyway, I have to run. Thanks for reading!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home