Sunday, June 12, 2005

Learning As I Go

Setting this blog up, in its basic form, was made very easy by the good people at Blogger.com.

Customizing it, however, has not been so easy. I wasn't aware that one had to have at least a rudimentary knowledge of HTML code to play around with the format. I thought it was going to be a click-and-drag type thing. Luckily, I was able to figure out the basic layout of the page by looking at the patterns in the code. I felt like John Nash, which is nice, because I usually never do.

When you're done laughing at me, feel free to offer me some help...

I welcome ANY advice or criticism about the layout or content of this blog.

So, I'm all alone on this Sunday morning. My fiancé, who instructed me that she would like to be known henceforth as Foxy Cleopatra, has gone out with her best friend. They're going to the beach on Long Island, New York. Then they're going to look for dresses for Foxy's bridesmaids. We're getting married in September!

A bit about Long Island:

Long Island is, as suggested by the name, a long island just east of Manhattan. The eastern quarter of the island, closest to Manhattan, is comprised of the boroughs of Queens and Brooklyn. The remaining three-quarters are part of New York State, and are made up of numerous counties.

Long Island is a strange place, and people who live there enjoy saying that it's like its own country. It goes from very wealthy to very poor, and its residents from very clean-cut in their presentation to outrageously trendy. In any case, it is usually the first to absorb and affect the urban culture emanating from the boroughs of New York City. These styles are immediately transformed by the teens of the Island, and made very much they're own. Usually to bad effect.

For American readers outside of New York, you might know these people by their not-quite-right gangsta’ style - where something appears slightly off, but you can't quite put your finger on what it is. Or maybe you can, and it's characterized by an excess of ersatz urban machismo. In England and Scotland, I think these people would be known as chavs.

The Island is really beautiful though, the further out you go. Go far enough and you'll hit the Hamptons: Summer Playground for the Rich & Famous.

Anyway, I have to go eat lunch, straighten up the apartment, get some sunshine, and feed the dog. The dog, by the way, shall be known as the Urinator, due to her proclivity for pissing all over the place, but never where she should.

She keeps us on our toes.

Bye.

4 Comments:

Blogger Kirsti said...

A brand new blogger! Welcome to the family :p I will keep checking back, you write well.

10:57 PM  
Blogger medusa said...

hey, you know what? we did a course on walt whitman last sem, and that had a helluva a lotta stuff on long island, after all that is where he lived most of his life, and took the brooklyn ferry to go to new york etc.
so reading ur blog was really cool.

11:27 PM  
Blogger Kirsti said...

Oh and also.. please tell me how to link to other blogs.. because yeah.. me = not so good with html

2:49 AM  
Blogger Blossom said...

Welcome to the blog world :)

3:55 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home