Wednesday, July 06, 2005

The Decline of Civilization

Every new television season in America brings with it a new reality show. Every year I am absolutely flabbergasted by the increasing stupidity of what producers have green-lighted. And I always ask myself - and everyone around me, now that I think of it - the same exasperated question: How much worse can it get?

And so I really am morbidly curious about what twisted scenario Hollywood will dream up next. How, next season, are they going to top this year's smash hit I Want to Be a Hilton.

I just sat transfixed for an hour by this circus, where ten or so contestants are stripped of all dignity as they jockey to become hotel heiress Kathy Hilton's protégé. It has all the elements of success that were fine-tuned in Donald Trump's The Apprentice: The dregs of humanity, a task, a reward, and finally someone - or two - is ejected.

Kathy Hilton's catchphrase is not, however, You're fired, it's a painfully awkward Sorry, you're not on the list. The list alluding, of course, to the sort of list you might not be on if you're a nobody trying to get into an event attended by somebodies.

It's really kind of nauseating, yet I couldn't look away. How much worse can it get?

Here are some ideas:

I Want to Be an Actuary
Homeless, Like Me
The Bachelor: Prison Edition
Apprentice to an Undertaker

Are you reading, Hollywood? We'll watch anything, I promise.

4 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Okay- can I just say that you have a great blog. I am new to the whole blogging movement (can we call it a movement?) and it needs to be said that I made my first 2 entries earlier today.

Although I don't always agree with every opinion you share, I just couldn't stop reading until I'd read all of your entries.

I would like to point out that you've finally reached the "big time", as I have bookmarked you.

The entries and insights are profound and fun. I'll check in from time to time, and I look forward to reading some more.

Keep up the good work.

Dav

7:54 AM  
Blogger MinCat said...

i MUST agree. course being i the boondocks of the TV world, out here we only get the old shows from there, but dear heaves the simple life was terrifying because people actually watched it!!!! [yes i was one of them :p but it was fascinated repulsion and a need to know how low we can sink]

8:23 AM  
Blogger SD said...

Thank you both!

3:52 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I have to say that I really did enjoy it. I've learned not to listen to the critics too much. There are many things that they've turned down that I really enjoyed, and then there are some things that they said I had to see-- and it was a waste of time and money.

Therefore, I don't really listen to them anymore.

I guess it depends on what kind of movie's you like. I would go to www.quicktime.com and find the movie trailor and see what you think.

If you do end up seeing it, let me know what you thought.
Dav

8:11 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home